1. Pastor Jay of New Life . . . skydiving. Looks like a real rush.
2. Ryan Barnes has just been installed as the pastor of Hope Lutheran. I like this quote in their October newsletter:
The gospel is first of all a drama. It’s the story of God’s promise of a Messiah in Genesis 3:15 and his fulfillment of that promise in Jesus Christ. This drama gives rise to a doctrine, the gospel announcement that Christ was crucified for our sins and raised for our justification. Then this provokes doxology: faith, hope, praise, and thanksgiving which fuels our discipleship in the world. From commentary by Michael Horton,
The White Horse Inn, September 18, 2011.
3. Harvest Dinner. Fun Silent Auction! Great Raffle Items! Friday, October 21, 2011 at Christ Community Church. 208-529-0342. By the way, catch the “How To Study Your Bible” series on their church website.
4. The Post Register has been posting the articles related to what Pastor Robert Jeffress, lead pastor of First Baptist Church in Dallas, said about Mitt Romney. Melaleuca’s CEO in Idaho Falls (and co-chairman of the national committee to elect Romney president), Frank Vandersloot, let it rip on the issue. It has been interesting to read the reactions of the various political candidates. Do you think that Mormonism is a branch of mainstream Christianity?
5. A new statue stands in Iona. Commemorating the pioneers of 1883, it is a mother holding her child in one hand and clutching the scriptures in her other hand. Do mothers in Idaho Falls still read the scriptures today?
6. This past weekend, it was Yom Kippur. Ultra-orthodox debate the practice of kaparot. But the question remains. What will be the sacrifice for your sins?
7. The local newspaper highlights the recent SLC underwear run that set a world record. People are protesting “Utah’s uptight laws” – “2,270 people stripped to their underwear during the Utah Undie Run on Sept. 24.” Will this event rub off on Idaho Falls?