And to the angel of the church in Sardis write,
These things says He who has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars: “I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die, for I have not found your works perfect before God. Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you. You have a few names in Sardis who have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy. He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” Revelation3:1-6
- You might have the name of Jesus included in your church title. The church name might be advertised in the community. But Jesus says you are dead. You are not connected to the Vine. Actually, your church is just a business, in competition with Fielding or Rose Hill Cemeteries.
- How can Jesus say this about you? He knows all things. He carries the local churches in the palm of His hand. He is the One who has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars.
- What is the solution? (1) Be watchful. This is not a time to be sleeping. Wake up. It’s code blue at EIRMC. (2) Start strengthening what is about to die. Magnify the truths that you hear in the hymns, the catechisms, the prayers, and the scripture readings in the church service liturgy. Put your strength into building the Sunday School. The fellowship. The worship. The prayers. The discipleship. The evangelism. The world-wide missions. (3) Remember what you where first taught in your denomination. The fundamentals. (4) Repent. Let the Spirit of God cut away the disease. Seek out and embrace God’s divine pruning.
- There are a few undefiled among you. Thank God for them in this town. Run to them. Seek their mentoring.
- I don’t believe that verse 5 should be interpreted that you can lose your salvation. But what a warning! Jesus will not be confessing any fake Christians in Idaho Falls before His Father and the angels of heaven.